The Style Challenge for March is all about those charity shop finds that are worth sharing. I've worked in charity shops for long enough to know that there's ALOT of tat in most of them. So it's a bit like TK Maxx - you've got to hoke to find the good stuff. But if you follow a few rules, charity shops can be a great source of useful, inexpensive items for your wardrobe:
- Look for colours and styles you like before looking at labels. Buying just for a label in a charity shop is a recipe for a wardrobe full of unworn clothing & footwear.
- Equally, don't buy a well worn/bobbled/faded item just because of the label. Worn out clothes will never look good on you.
- Only ever buy items that fit you well...sounds obvious but I've witnessed so many people buy things that are too big or small.
- The best rails to head for first in a charity shop are jeans, jackets/coats and dresses, (esp. occasion wear). Most knitwear, tops, t-shirts will have had too much wear already.
- To find gems, be prepared to visit a shop weekly and to walk out at least every other time with nothing.
- Make friends with the staff - we love to chat to people coming in and believe me - ALL sorts of people come into charity shop, so don't be shy.
- Volunteer - definitely the best way to get the great stuff before it even hits the rails
For today's post, Rule 5 applies - I found nothing when searching today for this post but last week was more successful as I found these Autograph at M&S skinny jeans in a size 12 for £4.50. They've had very little wear and fitted me perfectly - they even came to London with me!
I do love this cardigan - it's such an antidote to the wet weather with the neon pink and orange...I'm wearing it over a simple Gap long-sleeved tee in a putty colour. A great neutral basic to have - they're in store at the moment.
|Fair Isle Cardigan - Boden (AW13)|
Long Sleeve Top - Gap
Jeans - Autograph at M&S (thrifted)
Suede Ankle Boots - Seven Boot Lane
(10% off with SGSSS14)
Over all this - for the morning at least, I wore my BHS navy Pea Coat and one of the new scarves that has just arrived in my shop. It was a no brainer 'keep one for me' as I adore the colours in it. A proper dark navy with pinks, orange & blue/greens..
|Scarf - SGS Shop|
Navy Pea Coat - BHS
But come 3pm, the suede boots and wool coat were replaced by Sorel boots and my Target Dry Parka as the rain was torrential. I do love an excuse to wear these boots though..
|Conquest Carly Boot - c/o Sorel Footwear|
Georgia Parka - c/o Target Dry
Jeans - as before
So now it's over to you - have you had an amazing charity shop find? If so, share it in the comments or if you've blogged about it, join the linky below. I've had to change linky providers once again so if you've any problems linking up, just tweet or comment. In any case, I'll be doing a post each week in March so you will get more chances to link up then.
Hope you have a fab Friday,