You'll have read me endlessly harping on about the Merrell Wakefield and its 2012 version, the Merrell Ellenwood so I'll not go on about these coats here again. BUT, if a Merrell is not your cup of tea or you have a waterproof coat already, what other coats should you consider for your wardrobe?
In my opinion, as they represent a significant investment, I avoid bright colours and loud patterns. My recommendations for coat colours are Grey, Navy and Black, in that order. If you've all three in your wardrobe, you'll not struggle to cover up this winter. Starting with grey...
|Wool Blend Trench Coat Style|
Marks & Spencer £85
|Zipped Coat with On-Trend pleather detail|
Mango @ John Lewis £89.99
John Lewis - £130
|Textured Drape with Belt|
Oasis - £98
|Quilted Navy Coat|
Next - £60
Boden - £149
|In love with this studded sleeve one|
Zara - £129
|Navy Military Wool Mix|
Matalan - £40
Zara - £119
Wallis - £65
|Totally Bargainous Down Filled (removable fur collar!)|
Vila @ Room31 £30 Use Code LFL30 for 30% off at the till!
|Another Bargainous Option (without the removable fur collar!)|
Primark - £35
Oasis - £80 (on offer until 23 Oct)
- You've probably seen the theme in most of these coats - nipped in waists! Coats can add bulk so always look for one that has some tailoring or shaping to ensure you don't lose your figure.
- Look for nods to current trends like pleather trim, zips and peplums.
- Buy a coat that looks as good on you worn open as it does closed up. You will want to wear it both ways.
- Don't spend more than £150 on a coat and google for discount codes for online stores.
- For more bargainous buying, look for classic coats in grey, navy and black in the January sales.
- Don't rule out eBay - you could find a wee gem on here for a fraction of the cost as many coats are lightly worn.
- Don't keep coats for good - I know lots of people with gorgeous coats in their spare room wardrobe. If you can't find a reason to wear them, sell them or give them away - coats take up TOO much valuable wardrobe space!
As always, keep the suggestions coming in for my By Request posts. Send an email to email@example.com